vServer - Just Starting Out

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Oct 14 09:59:39 CDT 2003

on 10/14/03 2:15, Ian Devaney at idevaney at mac.com wrote:

Hi Ian,

>> And I assume ValentinaInit() already was called?
>
> Oops! That what I had missed - I had commented it out accidentally!

>> Hmm, if it is know then why you want create it again ?
>
> I'm trying to get to grips with how I would work with the files on a
> server when I am creating/debugging.
>
> In a normal situation, I would constantly recreate a db file as I added
> tables etc. just by replacing the file in the Finder when using "File
> New".
>
> When the file is on a server this seems not to be as easy.

Yes correct, because we do not have in this case standard OS
dialog NEW FILE.

You can simulate this by getting a list of dbs from server (using Vserver
class) and displaying own dialog.

Please note, Vserver differ from local SDK on db.Create() behavior.
Vserver return error and DO NOT allow create db if files already exists.
Local SDK simply override old files.

In Valentina 2.0 this will be polished.
I think local SDK also will return error code then.
This will be okay, because in 2.0 I have add db.ThrowOut() method, so we
will have easy way to DELETE disk db files.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com