[V4RB] DateFormat and DateSep

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Nov 29 14:27:16 CST 2003

on 11/29/03 12:54 PM, Stan Busk at maxprog at mac.com wrote:

Hi Stan,

> I understand DateFormat specifies the format of a date but I guess not
> at low level , in other words, if a database was created with
> Dateformat = 1 and I open it setting Dateformat to 0 will I get a
> properly converted M/D/Y or a corrupted date?

Valentina will return you date in this NEW FORMAT.

Internally Valentina store dates in format-independent way.
So you can move db from USA to Japan, and they will start to use it as YMD
format.

Of course, IF you have say, e.g. MDY format then from this moment
    Valentina will return you date in this format,
    and it will expect such strings from you.

> The fact is my app
> currently doesn't set the date format, and a Canadian customer is
> having problems with queries as I am assuming everywhere dateformat is
> 0 (M/D/Y). He sends me its database and DateFormat is 1. Could I fix
> this problem setting Dateformat to 0 at startup? I have made a test and
> it seems to work.

Yes you can do this.

> Other question is DateSep. I am always assuming in my app it is "/".
> Should I also set this at startup?

If you want change it then yes.

For example, you can add in your app preferences that control this,
And on start of app, set user settings.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com