Newbie to Valentina

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Nov 24 19:15:10 CST 2003

on 11/24/03 5:52 PM, Michael Krugman at admin at ktinet.net wrote:

Hi Mike,

> I have a database that I used RealDB to create and now I would like to
> use Valentina.  I see just about everywhere in RB documentation that a
> Valentina DB can be used without changing any code (After looking at
> some of the Valentina samples, I don't see how).

Mike, I believe in our docs there is NO place we is said that Valentina and
REAL DB are the same. In fact they are very different.

Or you mean documentation of REAL ?

> I decided to use Valentina code, while trying to keep my front end intact.

> I am able to
> create a Valentina database and according to the Valentina browser, I
> am able to add  records to it.

What browser you mean?

> As I add the records, the count is
> correct, but in the browser there is no information being shown.

> I am
> also trying to display these records in a listbox, with no luck there
> either.

Do you use REAL db way of binding?
This not works/

You need to make some function that simply copy values from Valentina cursor
to listbox.

Also you can look into example ThirdParty Projects / viSQL.
It use not listbox but other class which can display records dynamically.
RB Listbox is not good for big tables.

Even better to use Einhugur's Data Browser.

> Displaying the records in a listbox is a must because
> AppleEvents are sent to other applications when a name is double
> clicked on.

> I haven't found much help on this.

> I did find some dead links, though.

> Is there a sample somewhere that demonstrates how to
> display records from the database into a RB listbox?  I am using RB
> 5.22 on OS X 10.3.1.  Any help is appreciated.

You SIMPLY get from Valentina cursor some vlaue

    v = cursor.Field(i).GetString

And put it into listbox

    listbox..... = v

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com