[VSDK] 2.0 C++ classes // OO

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Nov 17 21:45:01 CST 2003

on 11/17/03 8:19 PM, Eric Forget at forgete at cafederic.com wrote:

> 4) Will it be possible to have a real object-oriented database: heritance
> (multiple?). That could make a huge difference for some kinds of domain.
>
> 5) Did you ever made a look at ODMG? They have some good things. Take a look
> at <http://www.service-architecture.com/database/articles/odmg_3_0.html>.
>
> 7) And for Java, how about using JDO?
>
> 6) How about support OQL? And/or SQL:1999, which also support
> Object-relational?

1) Yes, I have READ THE WHOLE book on OO and ODMG...
Frankly saying I do not like it very much.
And I do not like OQL very much...

Of course this is IMHO  :-)

2) I have told my point of view many times on list.

    OO DBMS DO NOT means that it must be accessed only from
    OO language (like this specify ODMG)

    OO DBMS must OO features of DBMS itself.

    for example in Valentina, when we will get inheritance,
    it still will be possible work from C, Lingo, and other
    PROCEDURAL languages.

3) as near target we need provide as full as possible support of
SQL 92, yes?

But in 2.0 we already will have some elements of SQL 99,
For example

    SELECT T1.a, T1.ptr_t2->b
    FROM T1

4) OQL is not planed at least for 2.0

5) in 2.0 we want add my old dream LINKs between tables
Of different kinds. This will NOT fit to Relational model.
So this will be pure extension in direction to Object-Relational model.

6) I am not sure yet if we will be able include into 2.0 inheritance..
We will try, at least some simple its types.

Again, just in my point of view, any public model not correctly provide
inheritance for DBMS. It is quite not simple thing for DBMS.
As far as I see for DBMS we must have SEVERAL different kinds of inheritance
(not just one like on programming languages) to be able describe reality.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com