[VSDK] VDK_Cursor Questions

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Nov 11 21:22:30 CST 2003

on 11/11/03 7:55 PM, Eric Forget at forgete at cafederic.com wrote:

> Hi Ruslan,
>
> I have a few questions about VDK_Cursor:
>
> 1) Is it possible to change the value of a field? There is only GetXXX()
> functions.

Yes of course.

You can get field

    VDK_Long$ fld = GetLongField

And use its operator=()

    fld = 5;

> 2) Is it more efficient to do a SELECT of all the field of a table to access
> them later or to just SELECT the RecID and then execute GoToRecord() on the
> table as needed?

I think this is comparable.

On the other hand if you have in Table 20 fields, but SELECT only e.g 4
field, then cursor will iterate this 4 fields 5 times faster

> 3) If a change a value of field that is sorted in the cursor, will it keep
> sorted?

NO

> If not, can I execute the SQL again?

YES, but for other cursor object.
This one delete and repeat all again.

In theory must works THE SAME object, but in 1.x sometimes this glitches.

> How I get the new position of the modified record in the cursor?

After re-sorting?
I think only by binary search in cursor

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com