[VSRV][VXCMD] Bug in GetRecordCount

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Nov 4 13:20:59 CST 2003

on 11/4/03 11:48, Robert Brenstein at rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de wrote:

>> Aha, this not implemented, but we think it is easy,
>> Igor will do this now.
>>
>> Again, BaseObject API is not fully implemented for Server.
>> So keep self closer to cursors.
>>
>>     SELECT COUNT(*) FROM T
>>

> It seems that you should, Ruslan, either completely remove BaseObject
> API and duplicate all of its functionality through SQL OR continue to
> support it fully. A partial support won't cut it. One aspect to
> consider is of course backwards compatibility -- if I have a program
> using BO-API heavily, converting it to SQL-API is an extra effort.

Agree, Robert.

But last 2 years I have warn that IF you going move to server you need use
Cursors. BaseObject API is ONLY for small, fast, local DBs.

I do not want make Valentina ONLY as SQL database.
If I have ability provide some faster way for some specific tasks why not do
this. Yes, this add more complexity, but this is payment for flexibility...

> But that is one time effort. Personally, I like BO-API because of its
> directness and simplicity, although that may be largely because the
> full syntax of SQL is still odd to me.

We have try to make BO API for Vserver. Problems.
We have made many functions but not records access methods...

May be later we will try again...
But BO API is really NOT for Client/Server

This is especially is visible in C++.
C++ Developers that use BO API have access to uniqu C++ SDK features like
BitSets and ArraySets. This works great for LOCAL db, but this will be NOT
effective for Client-server...

Each task require own tools.

> Furthermore, in light of an earlier discussion about returning
> values, you could consider to support SQLSelectRecords in addition to
> SQLSelect (it is my understanding, may be obsolete, that the former
> is implemented only for a few products). Then adding SQLSelectField
> or SQLSelectGlobal will be logical.

Robert, as I recall VXCMD do support SQLSelectRecords.

What you mean with
    SQLSelectField - ?
    SQLSelectGlobal - ?

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com