possible mac to pc problems

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Nov 4 10:24:35 CST 2003

on 11/4/03 3:09, capra at sonicinema.com at capra at sonicinema.com wrote:

> Name:      Capra J'neva
>
> Question regarding: v4md
>
> I wrote earlier.  I have found out since then that the guy who made the
> database built it on a Mac using your VAPP tool, which didn't give him options
> for specifying the mode (and defaulted to two files).  I have specified those
> extensions in the SetExtensions command...to no avail, it returns an error
> with no baseObject (despite the fact that it shows one in the DIAGNOSE
> DATABASE command, and I can query that one)...either way, there is just no
> access to the dat.
>
> I thought I'd amend this message, because perhaps the errors are resulting
> from crossing platforms...read something about that in your forum, but wasn't
> paying attention because I didn't realize this had been created on a Mac &
> couldn't find a message about going from Mac to PC.  Maybe related to the fact
> that the original file is creating two files, a vdb with no vdb extension, and
> the dat.

Hi Capra,

If db was made on MAC, and you have something as

    mydb
    mydb.dat

I.e. Description file DO NOT have .vdb extention,
Then yes on Windows it will not be opened

You need simply add manually .vdb ext

    mydb.vdb
    mydb.dat

And you need do

    db.open( "mydb.vdb" )

Let me know if I have correctly understand your problem.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com