a12 VServer docs suggestions

Keith DeLong delong at redcort.com
Fri May 30 15:56:39 CDT 2003

Hi Ruslan,

>>> No, this is NOT related with ini file.
>>> This is correct:
>>>
>>>   By default is used the standard port of Valentina Server.
>>
>> Hi Ruslan,
>> Please clarify because this is still unclear in English. Is this correct:
>>
>> If no port is set in the .ini, VServer uses  a default port of 5432.
>
> Keith, but you speak about Valentina Server and ini file.
> Page 74 describe class Vserver of V4RB_CLIENT.

I understood this. We need to know how it works from client to server. I
have this optional inPort parameter in vdatabase in cleint. How does it work
it I don¹t supply parameter? Where is this parameter set on the server side.
Why would I want to use this optional parameter?  These are the questions I
am answering from the client side.

The client must understand how it interacts with the server. I Think it's
quite useful for the new user to know from the client side that inPort
parameter in Vdatabase()  (the client) is found in the ini on the server
side.

> Please do not confuse Vserver class and Vserver application.
>
>> The docs certainly need to at least say what the default port number is!
>
> Note, I do not write explicit port number like 5432,
> Because we have NOT choose yet future default port for Valentina server.
> 5432 is just temporary.
> John have mention that Postgre use it.
> So we need other port for Valentina.

I was following the discussion -- my point was that whatever the port number
is, it should be documented clearly.

Thanks,

Keith