[ANN] Vserver, V4RB_Client, V4MD_Client 2a10 uploaded. For MAC

Keith DeLong delong at redcort.com
Wed May 28 05:54:46 CDT 2003

Hi Ruslan,

>> I spent a little time with 2a10 this evening.
>>
>> The port parameter on vDatabase is shown as optional. An in fact in the
>> sample app the the optional port parameter is omitted. The problem is that
>> port for vServer is set to Port=5432 in the ini and yet the database
>> successfully connects.
>
> Hard English!

Sorry! :-)

>> If the optional parameter is omitted, which server would get a connection if
>> 2 vServers are running on a host with separate port settings?
>
> If you do not specify parameter PORT in Vdatabase or Vserver constructor
> Then it is default -- 5432.

This answers my question.

vServer ini automatically creates a port = 5432

In demo app, client did not use optional port call
    w.mDataBase = new MyDataBase( hostname, "sa", "sa" )

I wondered why a Vdatabase() with NO port in parameter will connect to
server with a port setting. I understand now that the Client was using
default of 5432.

I tested by setting server ini port=5444. Client connection now fails as
expected.

This makes sense now. Please include this in the client and server docs for
others who will confused. :-)

Keith DeLong