[ALL] let's think about Query Language for 2.0

Andreas Grosam agrosam at computerworks.ch
Sat May 24 09:52:14 CDT 2003

On Samstag, Mai 24, 2003, at 12:21  Uhr, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> on 5/23/03 10:23 PM, Andreas Grosam at agrosam at computerworks.ch wrote:
>
>>> So if you say that this query language will simplify building of new
>>> pluggable Query Languages, then I agree with you.
>> I didn't mentioned a "micro kernel language"  yet - but in fact - that
>> would be the idea. This is a relative simple language which can be
>> parsed or interpreted very efficiently. An SQL parser then just
>> translates from SQL to "micro kernel query" language - much like a C++
>> compiler translating into assembler.
>> (an SQL parser then could run on the client - which frees resources on
>> the server!!)
>
> No Andreas, no sense parse on client.
>
> After parsing you get a lots of nodes, and it takes longer time to
> send them
> via net. Also on client side you can not do semantic checks of SQL
> query.
> And AST of parsing at last of end should be translated into Execution
> nodes,
> which have sense only on server in context and in RAM of server.

The idea is to let the 1.4GHz double CPU equipped client machine do a
little bit of the work.
When having a "micro kernel language" - an SQL parser would simple
*translate* from SQL to the micro kernel language.
The output is of the SQL parser is just plain text - which can be
parsed on the server more quickly. Of course, this is just an idea -
don't know if it could work.