[ALL] let's think about Query Language for 2.0

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat May 24 01:21:07 CDT 2003

on 5/23/03 10:23 PM, Andreas Grosam at agrosam at computerworks.ch wrote:

>> So if you say that this query language will simplify building of new
>> pluggable Query Languages, then I agree with you.
> I didn't mentioned a "micro kernel language"  yet - but in fact - that
> would be the idea. This is a relative simple language which can be
> parsed or interpreted very efficiently. An SQL parser then just
> translates from SQL to "micro kernel query" language - much like a C++
> compiler translating into assembler.
> (an SQL parser then could run on the client - which frees resources on
> the server!!)

No Andreas, no sense parse on client.

After parsing you get a lots of nodes, and it takes longer time to send them
via net. Also on client side you can not do semantic checks of SQL query.
And AST of parsing at last of end should be translated into Execution nodes,
which have sense only on server in context and in RAM of server.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com