[ALL] let's think about Query Language for 2.0

Andreas Grosam agrosam at computerworks.ch
Fri May 23 21:07:57 CDT 2003

On Freitag, Mai 23, 2003, at 07:45  Uhr, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> on 5/23/03 1:52 PM, Andreas Grosam at agrosam at computerworks.ch wrote:
>
>> Secondly, your idea is to use the "native" language making a "micro
>> kernel" API, exposing query primitives (and possibly others like
>> locking, transaction, etc.)
>>
>> One thing, not explicitly mentioned, if I understand you right, this
>> API shall work in a client/server environment as well??
>
> May be not. May be yes.
>
> Do not forget, I always try keep Valentina as flexible as possible.
> It should work fine as embedded engine, and as client server.
> As single user so multi-user
> As RDBMS, so object - relational.

I though that, thus I emphasised the question  ;)

I have an idea how to solve that  - it's basically, a design question:
Using template POLICIES for the objects realising the communication
between server and client.
For an embedded DBMS, a policy will be chosen such that it directly
maps member function calls.
For crossing the server/client boundary, a RPC policy will be used.
Note that the interface is the same.
However, it would be beyond the scope here, to give a full overview of
that idea.

Andreas