Valentina and Revolution...

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri May 23 17:18:47 CDT 2003

on 5/23/03 3:43 PM, Martin Steer at martin at pixelmedia.com.au wrote:

Hi Martin,

> Thanks for replying Rob. I knew as I was writing the email that it was
> probably lacking in content and definition. Sorry.
>
> We want to develop a client/server application for doctors. So, it will
> keep patient info, accounts, an appointment diary... xray's, notes, and
> other Doctor related stuff. These are the main functions though. We'd
> like it all to be networked so client's terminals update accordingly as
> changes occur in the database.
> From 1 - approx. 20 users and running on Mac and PC.
>
> What I'm mainly concerned about is the speed,

Speed of what? Searches in database?
Valentina is fast.

And why you think this is important for you?
20 users is not so many.
Or you have huge database?

> ease of development and
> application maintainability for the backend if it were to be coded in
> Rev and Valentina. The frontend is taken care of in Rev.

Rev claim to be more productive IDE and language than e.g. RB.
But all depend on your skills as developer.

> I know that Rev uses untyped objects (pretty much just 'String's) as
> it's main data type, so how effectively and efficiently does Valentina
> work with this?

Valentina need do convert of number to/from strings.
But this happens only when you read/write record.

Inside of database Valentina keep numbers as numbers.
So no penalty here.

> Databases are traditionally heavily type cast for their
> internal optimisations for speed, so do the generalisations Rev applies
> to software development impede Valentina at all? Or is it as fast as
> it's other implementations such as C++, REALBasic, Java, etc?

Look, when you have database in 10 millions of records,
And you do SQL query, e.g. SELECT * FROM T WHERE x > 10 and x < 40
Then for all languages time of query will be the same,
Because it is executed inside of Valentina kernel.

When you start READ or WRITE records, then here of course, speed depend on
language that you use. But I do not think this will make any difference for
you. Why? Because let in REALbasic you can in one second add 100,000
records, then in Rev you will be able add 30,000 records. Is this important
for you? I think you do not need so huge speed in any case. A doctor will
enter ONE record long time enough, correct?

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com