[V4RB] design of future pluign

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu May 22 14:22:03 CDT 2003

on 5/22/03 11:52 AM, john roberts at jarobe01 at athena.louisville.edu wrote:

>> John,
>>
>> Look, EVERY DBMS Server can be used "locally".
>>
>> You install it on your own standalone computer,
>> You install your application that act as client,
>> And this works.
>
> I understand all of the above.
>

>> Yes, this looks to be LOCAL work. Correct.
>> But server run as separate process.
>
> Right; the server and client would run as separate processes. I don't have a
> problem with this in the single user case. Perhaps others will.
>>

>> When we say "local work for Valentina" we mean usage of EMBEDDED Valentina
>> engine, when your APPLICATION have inside of self Valentina.
>>
> Rather than have two code bases (embedded and distributed), have a single
> code base (distributed) and control the usage via licensing. This means
> that:
>
> 1)  you have one model for each of your products;
> 2)  we write our solutions once and it handles both the single user case and
> the distributed solution;
> 3)  the customer moves easily from single user case to multi-user case by
> simply re-licensing the Valentina server from 1-person to as many as needed;
> this is the ultimate in scalability.
>
> If you proceed with the two model approach (embedded plus server) then, as a
> developer, I need the ability to talk with the embedded database plus the
> server. I would like to do this without maintaining two code bases (embedded
> + server) which do exactly the same job. I understand that this goal might
> not be possible in this case; however, it would be very nice. :)

John, I wonder if you already have look V4RB CLIENT and its example?

As you can see, only few lines differ!!!
When we create/open database.

All rest is totally the same. The same cursors, the same fields.

Problem arise ONLY when we want in ONE application combine BOTH, embeded
engine and remote client. This require some solution...

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com