[V4RB] design of future pluign

john roberts jarobe01 at athena.louisville.edu
Thu May 22 04:52:35 CDT 2003

on 5/22/03 3:41 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin at sunshine at public.kherson.ua wrote:

> John,
>
> Look, EVERY DBMS Server can be used "locally".
>
> You install it on your own standalone computer,
> You install your application that act as client,
> And this works.

I understand all of the above.

> Yes, this looks to be LOCAL work. Correct.
> But server run as separate process.

Right; the server and client would run as separate processes. I don't have a
problem with this in the single user case. Perhaps others will.

> When we say "local work for Valentina" we mean usage of EMBEDDED Valentina
> engine, when your APPLICATION have inside of self Valentina.

Rather than have two code bases (embedded and distributed), have a single
code base (distributed) and control the usage via licensing. This means
that:

1)  you have one model for each of your products;
2)  we write our solutions once and it handles both the single user case and
the distributed solution;
3)  the customer moves easily from single user case to multi-user case by
simply re-licensing the Valentina server from 1-person to as many as needed;
this is the ultimate in scalability.

If you proceed with the two model approach (embedded plus server) then, as a
developer, I need the ability to talk with the embedded database plus the
server. I would like to do this without maintaining two code bases (embedded
+ server) which do exactly the same job. I understand that this goal might
not be possible in this case; however, it would be very nice. :)

John Roberts