[V4RB] design of future pluign

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu May 22 10:41:48 CDT 2003

on 5/22/03 1:01 AM, john roberts at jarobe01 at athena.louisville.edu wrote:

>>> Can we not more logically have two distinct objects -- VDataBase for local
>>> work (and legacy code) and VDataBaseServer for client access to a server?
>>>
>>> Did I miss something??
>>
>> No. And it seems this can be good way.
>>
>> Problem is next. Okay, so we will have 2 Database classes in 2 different
>> plugins.
>>
>> What about all rest classes. For example Vfield and VCursor?
>> REALbasic do not allow us to have 2 the same classes in 2 different plugins.
>
> This would mean that you would have to maintain two separate code bases for
> each of your products even though there would be major overlap in the logic
> and implementation. This in turn would require one of:
>
>   1)  two separate compilations or
>   2)  mutually exclusive namespaces.
>
> The 1st would mean that we could not write apps covering both server and
> local situations. The 2nd would require code duplication both for you, us
> and the solutions we provide.
>
> I still like the idea of a single "server" situation. Licensing (by
> Paradigma) would control whether the "server" is a single connection or
> multiple connection. Each client would be able to "talk" locally or
> remotely. In the single-person case, this would allow the database and
> client to reside on one machine or on separate machines. Scalability would
> then be a matter of licensing more Valentina seats or more clients.

John,

Look, EVERY DBMS Server can be used "locally".

You install it on your own standalone computer,
You install your application that act as client,
And this works.

Yes, this looks to be LOCAL work. Correct.
But server run as separate process.

When we say "local work for Valentina" we mean usage of EMBEDDED Valentina
engine, when your APPLICATION have inside of self Valentina.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com