[V4RB] design of future pluign

Charles Yeomans yeomans at desuetude.com
Wed May 21 16:58:30 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 02:53 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> on 5/21/03 9:18 PM, Charles Yeomans at yeomans at desuetude.com wrote:
>
>> I assumed that it must be money you meant, because I know that no
>> Macintosh true believer would ever suggest the use of DLLs.
>
> Well, in fact each big application uses shared libs.
>

>>> I mean fact, that we will have now DLLs ?
>>> So your app will looks as
>>>
>>>         app + Engine.dll
>>>         app + Engine.dll + Client.dll
>
> --------------
>>> Charles, but I do not see other good way
>>> If you see it tell me.
>>
>> I thought that I did -- a collection of class interfaces plus two
>> plugins -- V4RB  and V4RB Client.  V4RB returns a VDatabaseLocal,
>> while
>> V4Rb Client returns a VDatabaseNetwork; both classes implement
>> VDatabase.
>
> Okay, answer me at first on the next question.
>
> 1) forget for now about combo - app.
>
> Let you want develop some App. It must have as Standalone so Client
> versions. How you see this ?
>
> IF we have 2 different V4RB plugins, then you need compile one app,
> using
> first., and second app using second.
>
> So you now must distribute 2 (!!!) compiled applications.
> Agree?

Nyet.  As I see it, both plugins should be able to coexist.

> 2) As for me, I like idea in PrimeBase, when you make and distribute
> only
> ONE application.
>
> Yes, in fact they do NOT have embedded engine like Valentina. They can
> only
> talk to local Server via more optimized DLL. I think it simply talk
> not via
> sockets but via some direct calls to Server.
> Yes, so they have THE SAME sources. They do connect in both cases:
> local and
> remote.
>
> Valentina work for local db as true embedded engine...but I like this
> idea...Or you think that it is normal if you will distribute 2
> versions of
> your apps ?
>

> 3) you self have point problem with above way.
>     How you will be able subclass Vdatabase? VCursor..

Well, I thought that I explained how to solve that problem.  Suppose
that we have the plugin plus 2 DLL design.  How do I open a local db
and a remote db in the same code?  Is the idea that VDatabase would
have two overloaded versions of Open ( Open(f as FolderItem) and
Open(server as VServer_)?

Actually, the use of 2 DLLs might be okay -- as I mentioned in another
mail, I assume that they can be included as resources in the app.

Charles Yeomans