[V4RB] design of future pluign

john roberts jarobe01 at athena.louisville.edu
Wed May 21 12:09:43 CDT 2003

on 5/21/03 11:24 AM, Charles Yeomans at yeomans at desuetude.com wrote:

> I think that we can do it better by not using DLLs.  What I want is the
> ability to use both local and remote databases in the same application.
> Otherwise I don't see an easy way to write applications that have
> intermittent database connections.

I too want the ability to work with local and remote databases. Not being
able to access both from within the same program would be a major "loss of
power". Case in point: I want to download a major chunk of the remote
database, massage the data in some fashion and return it to the owning
database.

It seems to me (in my ignorance) that (1) making the connections will differ
between remote and local but (2) once the connections are made,
communication within the program should be the same. Is this a technical
problem or a security issue ?

John Roberts