[ALL] let's think about Query Language for 2.0

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri May 16 21:29:05 CDT 2003

on 5/16/03 8:02 PM, Richard Altenburg at valentina at brainchild.nl wrote:

>> Assume you work with Table Person.
>> What classes/functions you need to describe simple single table query?
>>
>>   Query = NodeEqual( Person.fldName, "Bill" )
>>   Query.AndNode( NodeEqual( Person.LastName, "Gates") )
>>   QueryResult = Query.Execute()
>
> This comes close to how the 4D language works. It doesn't work with SQL at
> all (only if you really want to it does). Still it lets you perform great
> queries with ease.
>
> I told REAL Software a few times, and tell you now: look at how 4D got that
> big, because it IS an awesome product.

Believe I have look on it.

Richard, in fact I have visit ACI in Paris in Oct 1998.
I have demonstrate them first prototype of Valentina.
We have talk with Laurent about 4D, Valentina, little about algorithms.
He is very nice man and talented developer.

I did believe that the most correct way if some big DBMS like FileMaker or
4D will integrate new power of Valentina. I perfectly realize that repeating
of GUI part of FM or 4D is too hard task. And I am not fun of GUI
development.

On some reasons we have not get agreement,
so Valentina have go by its own way.
As say Russian verb "whatever happens, happens to better"  :-)

> When RB could do what 4D can with their database, together with the power of
> Valentina we would have the killer environment we are waiting for.

As for me, the greatest lack in RB IDE to beat 4D is absent of
Report Generator.

> Great that you are open to these ideas!

So can you remind us syntax of 4D?

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com