[V4RB] Database creation speed inconsistencies

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed May 14 23:18:47 CDT 2003

on 5/14/03 7:50 PM, Stan Busk at maxprog at mac.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have made tests creating a database with several tables on Mac OS X,
> Windows 98 and XP. I get awful results with XP. It is x13 slower than X
> and almost x3 slower than my old PC with Windows 98...
>
> G4/533/1,5GB.................6"
> P2/433MMX/256MB.............30"
> P4/2Ghz/512MB...............80"
>
> The database is made of 20 small tables containing some strings,
> integer, boolean and double fields. The init function set a 5MB cache
> and the create function use a segment size of 1024 to get small files.
> Why is it so slow on XP and so fast on X?

Hi Stan,

This is known issue.
I already have about 10 letters in my IN BOX, and 2 tests projects.
So this becomes the highest priority issue.

I have only one idea. Windows works with Flush() in some strange way.
I want in debugger to see this.

But right now I already have simple and effective way to improve this.
On db.Create() I can set some flag and if this flag is ON, DO NOT flush
cache at all during creation. Speed must be then maximal.
And this is safe, because we create NEW database files. Even if crash of
system happens, it is not big problem trash files, and make new once again.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com