Basic questions

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat May 10 12:08:51 CDT 2003

on 5/10/03 11:38 AM, Richard Altenburg at valentina at brainchild.nl wrote:

>> But the thing that really has me leaning towards
>> 4D is the integrated web server stuff. Combining the web server with the
>> database, and being able to distribute the web server using 4D Clients (new
>> for 2003; Richard, did you know about this?) is really compelling.
>
> I used that functionality for one year on my daughters' website
> (<http://www.moppenvoorkinderen.nl/>, a jokes site for kids.
>
> It was great to have the jokes in 4D, manage them through the web, and have
> 4D as the webserver, outputting it to clients.
>
> But, it was slow.

> I moved the site to a MySQL/PHP-solution, which made it much faster. I mean,
> very much.

And I think, this is good reason.

Why Paradigma or 4D should spend time to develop own web server?
I doubt we will get something good.

> And I wrote a REALbasic program for managing the data in the
> MySQL-database, so my daughter can now manage the jokes in a proper MacOS or
> Windows interface (whichever computer she sits down at), and that is much
> easier than through a web-interface.

Correct, with Valentina server we should be able connect to it using
different clients and languages at the same time.

That server hang under Apache and PHP.
If you love Java, c++, REALbasic, you can use it to make other client that
will talk to the same server and database.

I think this is more flexible solution with more power in potential.

> The distribution of web server using clients is new to me, and sounds good,
> but I think having the job done by dedicated web tools will still be much
> faster, and that was an important argument for me.
>
> My boss asked me to publish his data on the web too, and I also will write a
> RB program to act as an interface between the 4D database in the company and
> the MySQL database on the Internet. Very fast, very nice... (maybe I must
> use Valentina to store some intermediate data in this RB program, that would
> make it nice, having 3 databases in one go...).

Just when we get Valentina Server release, I think you will be able drop as
4D so mySQL and use just Valentina :-)

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com