Basic questions

Richard Altenburg valentina at brainchild.nl
Sat May 10 10:38:28 CDT 2003

On 10-05-2003 10:26, "Kem Tekinay" <ktekinay at mactechnologies.com> wrote:

> But the thing that really has me leaning towards
> 4D is the integrated web server stuff. Combining the web server with the
> database, and being able to distribute the web server using 4D Clients (new
> for 2003; Richard, did you know about this?) is really compelling.

I used that functionality for one year on my daughters' website
(<http://www.moppenvoorkinderen.nl/>, a jokes site for kids.

It was great to have the jokes in 4D, manage them through the web, and have
4D as the webserver, outputting it to clients.

But, it was slow.

I moved the site to a MySQL/PHP-solution, which made it much faster. I mean,
very much. And I wrote a REALbasic program for managing the data in the
MySQL-database, so my daughter can now manage the jokes in a proper MacOS or
Windows interface (whichever computer she sits down at), and that is much
easier than through a web-interface.

The distribution of web server using clients is new to me, and sounds good,
but I think having the job done by dedicated web tools will still be much
faster, and that was an important argument for me.

My boss asked me to publish his data on the web too, and I also will write a
RB program to act as an interface between the 4D database in the company and
the MySQL database on the Internet. Very fast, very nice... (maybe I must
use Valentina to store some intermediate data in this RB program, that would
make it nice, having 3 databases in one go...).