Crash o rific

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon May 5 01:17:16 CDT 2003

on 5/4/03 11:16 PM, Zav - Alex Zavatone at zavpublic at mac.com wrote:

Hi Zav,

> Ok.  This is beyond frustration.  It appears that I can not use
> Valentina without having it bring down Director when I try something
> new.  Like creating databases.
>
> It is for reasons like this that I am not allowed a gun permit in the
> United States.  Canada and Mexico are another story.

I have see your notes that you are not programmer, but musician or such.
This explain of course your problems.
As for me, I cannot play ANY music instrument, and I think I even do not
have chance to do this :-)
So, man, if you will get at last of end, Valentina work for you, you will be
hero! :-)

Just I think you should try to find somebody with programming skills which
will help you. Of course if this is possible.

> Is this thing just fragile as hell?  I have taken to not breathing
> near my laptop lest the disturbance in the air forces cause Director
> MX to vaporize when V is running.  Do I have to check for a V error
> after EVERY call?

Well, there is no need after EACH call.
But after SQL query it is good idea to check at first error.

> DO I have to check the type of a passed variable
> EVERY time lest I pass the wrong thing and cause V to nuke DMX?

I am not sure what you ask, but yes, you should watch what you send to
Valentina. You must not send to Long fields, for example string constants.
Valentina will reject this.

> I  STILL can not get anything done, V's not like director where you can
> play and try things out without worrying about having it kill your
> current project.
>
> Are there any guidelines of how to play in the world of Valentina so
> that 1) I can get it to not crash Director MX OS X 10.2.5 and 2) how
> to actually get stuff done?
>
> I'm only STILL trying to create a simple database, add records and
> get them when I need to.
> 1 table, 3 string fields.
>
> This should not be rocket surgery.
> This should NOT be so hard or crash prone.
> general ideas anyone?

As I have see in your other letter,
The main thing you should understand is --
    TableRef, CursorRef, DbRef  -- this is some integer numbers.
          this is internal numbers, which you get from Valentina
          and which you must SEND to Valentina in correct places.

          If you will send to Valentina something else, instead of
          cursorRef you will get problems.

    TableName -- is string.
    Fieldname -- is string.

But do not mix FieldName inside of database,
And Variable of lingo that point to that field.

EXAMPLE:

    userField = AddField(myDB, myBaseTableRef,"Username",#kTypeString,10)

    ** Here "UserName" is field Name inside of database.
    ** Userfield -- this is Lingo variable.

As musician, you should understand this very good.
Each note sign specify EXACTLY some sound. STRICTLY.
What happens with Mozart sonata if you will play other sounds?
It will crashes. Then why you wonder on reaction of Valentina? :-)

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com