[V4RB] Valentina Logo and Copyright info

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Mar 28 17:06:40 CST 2003

>Well, that is right. But that one developer opened up the eyes of others,
>and what he said is causing your sales more harm than some logos in
>About-boxes can give you. He was talking to us developers, the ones that
>have to buy your product.
>
>You know I am already an advocate for Valentina, because I feel much more
>power since I abandonded the REAL database engine, but that one complaining
>developer did have some good points.

A propos opening eyes, I wonder how many people actually read
licensing texts in full detail. I did after the discussion we had in
January (cf. "Time limited demo" thread) and that was quite an
eye-opener for me.

For example,

we are required to purchase a separate copy of Valentina for each
computer we use for development or testing -- see item 1 of grant of
license in Software License

we are not allowed to archive older versions of Valentina if we
upgrade (including betas) -- see item 6 of limitations in Software
License

we are not allowed to use centralized backup systems -- see item 10
of limitations

we are not allowed to resell Valentina if we have no use for it
anymore -- see item 7 of limitations

a client that gets a custom application (as opposed to a program
distributed to many) is required to purchase his/her own Valentina
license -- see item 7 under limitations

using Valentina products that rely on the shared library is not
allowed on servers -- see item 10 of limitations

passing the license code to Valentina engine at run-time does not
really meet EULA, thus distributing Valentina library/plugin with our
software is not legal unless explicitely licenced -- see January
thread

we are not allowed to distribute programs developed in environments
which do not produce compiled applications -- see item 1 in
Commercial License

Well, enough of this. I really hope that the licensing issues will
get cleaned up and improved together with the release of server and
version 2.

Robert Brenstein