[V4RB] Valentina Logo and Copyright info

Brendan Murphy bmurf at comcast.net
Thu Mar 27 15:58:39 CST 2003

Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:
> on 3/27/03 8:44 PM, Brendan Murphy at bmurf at comcast.net wrote:
>> The real problem here the requirement to display the
>> valentina logo at all! To have to put the logo in my splash
>> or about box simply won't fit the style or quality for what
>> I am creating for those elements. As an example, consider
>> the the Photoshop splash screen. The valentina logo would
>> look like like an over grown wart in that environment.
>
> In fact in logo.eps file it seems mentioned that you can modify color
> style
> as you need in your artwork.
>
> I self have spend at least 2 years in DTP area, and believe me,
> It is possible always create NICE picture.
>
> You can use transparency, color space, ...

That is NOT the point! It is the fact that you require your
logo in my about box. It is MY about box, not yours.

>> Putting a copy-write notice is reasonable and doable, but the
>> logo requirement is onerous at best! I paid for the
>> valentina software for royalty free access, so why should MY
>> application be your advertising vehicale. As a valentina
>> customer, this pisses me off!
>
> Well, I have see MANY apps, for example BBEdit, that in AboutBox
> display
> scrollable text, which probably show about 100-150 lines of ABOUT TEXT.
>
> Open your mind.
> It is always possible put into small are A LOTS of things :-)

Did you miss what I said in the above paragraph? I said a
copy-write notice is fine, but putting in a logo is not
acceptable. You are attempting to use my application for
your own marketing purposes and I don't get any benefit for
doing so and it clutters my about box.

In searching my memory, I can't think of any other vendor
that requires their logo to be put into third party
software. I have seen many vendors put up requirements for
people who WANT to put in a logo, but that is an opt-in
strategy. What you are doing is exactly opposite.

>> To add insult to injury, you require payment to NOT put the
>> logo in.
>>
>> From the license agreement:
>>  (8) Agree that you understand that you may, only through
>>  additional license and payment of royalties based on the
>>  then current royalty schedule, build and sell commercial,
>>  general purpose database applications, or exclude the
>>  Valentina Technology logo from applications;
>>
>> There is no delicate way to put this, but your logo stinks
>> as a piece of artwork. If it was half way decent, then I may
>> not be as miffed about the logo requirement.
>>
>> There are other aspects of the licensing agreement that are
>> poorly written or act like a stick in the eye of your
>> customers. Reconsider your license agreement from the point
>> of view of your customers and rewrite it to encourage
>> customers to use your product instead of putting in
>> "self-serving" requirements.
>
> Can you point more exactly on this "bad things".
> We always ready to listen you.

You require that we fill out a commercial publisher
agreement and send it into you. For what purpose? I get
nothing out of it. You never state what you will do with
such information from the agreement. What purpose does this
agreement serve?

My suggestion to you is to drop the logo requirement and
drop the commercial publisher agreement.