batch inserts

X Y xyzabc1010 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 25 21:32:07 CST 2003

Hi All,
There are about 500 records in the table now.
There are about 6 fields w. only 1 field indexed.
The OS is Win2K, 256MB, 750 GHz

I am actually doing the following: I have three tables
that I am inserting: Session, SessionDetail and
Activity.
For each line in a text file, I perform the following
insert:
       1. Insert a new activity if one does not exists
       2. Insert a new Session
       3. Insert records in SessionDetail (~ 100)

There are object Pointers referencing to each of the
table
Session --> Activity
      SessionDetail --> Session
Therefore, as I create the record, I store its RecID
to be used in later inserts.

Is it faster to do an InsertFromAscii?
I am using Macromedia Director. With each insert I
create a cursor, do the insert and void the cursor.