Win32 Performance

Brendan Murphy bmurf at comcast.net
Sat Mar 22 09:14:57 CST 2003

> This is not a secret.
> Flush is slow operation.
>
> Well, in fact may be your PC simply have slower HDD?

FYI, my computer is a Dell laptop which I bought within the
last six months. So I think you can rule out the speed of
the hard drive.  With all due respect, I know of no hard
drive that could produce the execution times I observed.

Yes, I understand that the flush operation is slow, but the
results I saw were astonishing slow. Let's do the math.

With flush:
Mac: 18 seconds.
PC: 1100 seconds

Without flush:
Mac: 1.6 seconds.
PC: 12 seconds.

Mac: 11x increase in speed (18 / 1.6).
PC: 91x increase in speed (1100 / 12).

On the PC side it is NOT a linear relationship. It follows a
geometric expansion rate (scary stuff) for execution speed!

It is obvious that there is something that flush does or
calls that is inducing this mind numbingly slow execution
speed. Perhaps it is something your algorithm or something
you call in the code warrior libraries. Whatever it may be,
it is a good place to start looking for the root cause.