[V4RB] SQL "Create Table"

Frank Bitterlich bitterlich at gsco.de
Mon Mar 10 20:34:14 CST 2003

Official SQL syntax:

  create table MYTABLE (NAME varchar(40), ID int, CREATED timestamp);

But I don't know if that's the way Valentina does it...

Cheers,
   Frank+++

Erik Mueller-Harder wrote:

> After *way* too long, I'm rejoining the fray.  Looks like there have been many developments since I left!
>
> I'm developing a new Rb/Valentina application, and for various reasons I'm trying to do *everything* via SQL.  I've scoured the documentation and examples, but I can't find any example of creating a table via SQL (other than the SQL command reference, which tells me only what the SQL command itself should be).
>
> I've tried this from within the db constructor (in an "if" statement which first checks the sysItem table to see whether the table already exists or not):
>
> vc = new VCursor(me, "create table CompositeData ID string(12,'ASCII')")
>
> [The new table is to be called CompositeData; the first field is "ID" -- a 12-character ASCII string field.]
>
> I then check errNumber and errString.
>
>     errNumber = 600 ("errSQL_SELECTexpected")
>     errString = "Expected key word FROM"
>
> It's interesting (to me, anyway) that the errNumber and errString don't agree with each other.
>
> More interesting, though, would be to find out what the proper syntax would actually be.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Erik

Mit freundlichen Grüßen aus Frankfurt
   GÜNTER SCHMIDT & CO.
   i. A. Frank Bitterlich

--
Günter Schmidt & Co. oHG
Frank Bitterlich             eMail: bitterlich at gsco.de
Schlosserstr. 4              WWW:   http://www.gsco.de/gsco
D-60322 Frankfurt            Tel.:  069 / 156809-29
GERMANY                      Fax:   069 / 156809-28