V4RB Performance on Windows

Peter De Berdt peter.de.berdt at pandora.be
Mon Mar 10 09:34:01 CST 2003

>  >> Performance on Windows V4RB seems to be significantly slower than on
>>>  the Mac.
>>>
>>>  Example
>>>  Creating database with 3 tables, with a total of 15 fields, varchar,
>>>  double, long, no BLOBs.
>>>  populating with 2-10 records each.
>>>  6MB Cache
>>>
>>>  On Mac G3 700Mhz iBook OS X 10.2.4 - instantaneous.
>>>
>>>  On Windows 1Ghz Athlon with 512MB Ram, takes 20 seconds to  create and
>>>  open.
>>>  Has a lot of disk activity during this time.
>>>  Just opening the DB is closer to Mac performance.
>>>  File size after creating is around 150K.
>>>
>>>  Built with RB 4.5.2 on Mac OS X 10.2.4
>>>
>>>  Is this normal?
>>>  Is this a function of RB?
>
>May be slow HDD in that PC ?

Nope, have the same problem with a fairly large project of mine: 8
tables, total of 80 fiels, strings, doubles, ushorts, ulongs, no
blobs. Takes forever on a brand new Dell PC... Record loading is also
slower (and no, it's not RB related, because I only read the records
needed to populate the visible part of the listbox, the others are
fetched when the user scrolls using the scrollbar).

Peter De Berdt