Help - "filter on/include-omit function"

Tonio Virgilio LEVRA levra at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 08:08:57 CST 2003

--- Ruslan Zasukhin <sunshine at public.kherson.ua>
wrote:
> [...]
>
> Hi Tonio,
>
> I am not sure I am ready solve such complex tasks
> now :-)
> So I have CC this to list.
>
> > I've a big problem that I've no idea on how to
> solve
> > it.
> > Please give me some hints.
> >
> > This is the scenario:
> >
> > Imagine a db of 65.000 record (all the articles of
> > news paper for 1 year)
> > Imagine that every record has five
> "index_description"
> > field in which there are 1 o more, word keys
> > (example of one of this filed:
> > rec1: |...|...|TELEVISIONE, QUARTIERE|...|...|...|
> > rec2: |...|...|DENUNCIA, ATTI OSCENI, STRANIERI,
> SCI,
> > TURISMO|...|...|...|
> > rec3:
> |...|...|MANIFESTAZIONI,STRANIERI|...|...|...|
> > rec4: |...|...|STRANIERI|...|...|...|
> > ...).
> > Imagine that all the word keys present in this
> five
> > "index_description" field are also organized in a
> > separate tree structure (example:
> > -ambiente
> > acqua
> > atmosfera
> > boschi
> > discariche
> > inquinamento
> > mare
> > montagna
> > rifiuti
> > caccia
> > -armi
> > esplosivi
> > -attentato
> > -carburanti
> > benzina
> > petrolio
> > ...).
> >
> > This is the need:
> >
> > At every query I need to fill the tree-structure
> with
> > the number of record found for every item of the
> same
> > tree structure,
> > considering that a sigle record could have more
> than
> > one word key, the same record could be counted in
> more
> > than one item
> >
> > This is the problem:
> >
> > How can I do that?
> > a. Do multiple query... (I have more than 1000
> item
> > for the five tre structure)
>
> May be
>
> > b. Use multiple group by/count for the same
> query...
> > (it is possible? anyway I need to do more than
> > 1000...)
>
> no
>
> > c. Are there other solutions like filter_on or
> > include/omit functions ?
>
> no
>
> > d. Are there other solutions like to map some
> record
> > count on some selected group of field
> > e. Something else you can know?
>
> In fact I have not understand how RESULT must looks.

The result of this "1000 query" must fill the tree
structure with the number of record found (example:
-ambiente [107]
  acqua [0]
  atmosfera [10]
  boschi [50]
  discariche [0]
  inquinamento [7]
  mare [0]
  montagna [0]
  rifiuti [20]
  caccia [20]
-armi [1]
  esplosivi [1]
-attentato [0]
-carburanti [2]
  benzina [1]
  petrolio [1]
 ...)

f. (NEW) it is possible to "save" the result of a
query and do some "sub-quesry" within the result of
the first query?

> > Note: A previous version of this program was
> already
> > made in DOS/Win 3.1 and of course now on win xp it
> > looks amazingly fast.
>
> So how it was made ???
>
> With SQL ?
> With filtering in FoxPro
> With help of navigational db like dbVsita ?

Hmm, I don't know