RB 5.0

Keith DeLong delong at redcort.com
Thu Mar 6 11:17:28 CST 2003

> Hi Folks,
>
> Has anyone had any experience (troubles)
> with Real Basic 5 ?  I am thinking of
> upgrading.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Art

RB 5.0 is not any where near ready for prime time for non trivial projects.
Out of my 3 major RB/V4RB projects, 2 will not even run and the 3rd has
major 'issues'. With the new compiler, it's taken hours just to get the code
ready to compile. And then you discover that run and compile times take 5-10
minutes for complex projects. For all intents and purposes 5.0 is an early
beta and simply unusable for serious developers.

Which is a shame because there's lots of very useful new technology in
version 5. I fear it's going to lose some steam because of the poor
reputation of 5.0

I'm sure RS has reasons for releasing 5.0, but so far it's all been
speculation. I've found this incredible. At least REAL has said they are
aware of the problems and are hard at work at 5.1 -- they've said 5.1 will
be the real deal.

One school of thought is to upgrade now anyway to show support for version
5's potential. But since they've not provided an explanation to the user
community for 5.0's release, I've decided not to reward them 'hoping for the
best'. Been there, done that with several problems in 4.5... Once they were
on to 5.0, nothing was done to fix existing issues with the current release
I had paid for.

So with 5, I'll wait until I can purchase an upgrade I can actually use.

Keith DeLong