V4MD quirk with user permissions

Nathan Friesen nfriesen at dyton.com
Wed Mar 5 08:21:22 CST 2003

On Wednesday, March 5, 2003, at 06:58  AM, niklas woermann wrote:

> Hi!
> I just discovered something, we use an installer to install a bunch of
> files to the users hard drive.
> basically its the valentina database files and some director files.
> If the user chooses to install to the default location
> (CSIDL_Program_files),  any restricted users wont be able to open the
> database.
> i am no guru on windows security, but it seems the restricted users
> cant write anything to the program folder, and since i suppose
> valentina needs to
> write temp files or what ever, the database calls will fail.
>
> the problem is solved if the installation target is chosen not to be
> CSIDL_Program_files,
>
> i am trying to figure out a way out of this mess, anyone have any
> experience with problems like these?

I can't say that I've ever experienced this, and I'm a primarily a Mac
user but I do have an idea for a possible temporary workaround. Would it
be possible for your installer to put the Valentina files in a place
where any user can write to (something like a Preferences directory, or
the Windows equivalent). You could also have your installer write a text
file to the same directory as the application with the path to the
Valentina files, or I think the BuddyAPI Xtra will do a search for a
file name, and will return the full file path.

Let me know if this works. Thanks

Nathan

Nathan Friesen
Dyton, Inc.
2302 West 1st Street
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
P: 319.277.8418
F: 319.277.8417

www.dyton.com

------
    Where there is no vision, the people perish.
      - Proverbs
------