Database size

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Jun 26 09:12:30 CDT 2003

on 6/26/03 5:54, Bryan McCormack at bmccormack at artsystems.com wrote:

> Ruslan,
>
> Please ignore my email.  I just noticed on the message board previous
> messages regarding database size.  I do wonder if it's advantageous to
> reduce the default segment size when the database is initially created,
> though.

Depends on your tasks.

IF after adding of data you will get db size bigger of that init values,
Then you can ignore that.

I know that in this way work also 4th Dimension and SQL Server.
We pre-allocate one segment for each logical internal file.

If db is not going to have many records, then you can reduce segment size.
If db is going to have 50-500MB of data, then no sense make segment smaller.

And I can ensure you that size of Valentina db is LESS of any other db when
it have data and correct segment size. PROVED.

> Furthermore, when I was building the tables for the database, I was
> attempting to do so with SQL "CREATE TABLE" statements.  A few of our
> fields, in order to accomodate previous versions of the software, have
> field names comprised of 2 words seperated by a space.  For instance,
> Preference 1 rather than Preference1.  However, Valentina wouldn't
> accept any such statements even if the field names were surrounded with
> quotation marks.  Is there a way around this?

Valentina 1.x uses [] to surround such idents.

There was bug report that this do not work for UPDATE command.
Then I afraid it can be broken for create also.
It works 100% for SELECTs.

I  will debug this soon.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com