V4RB - 8.6, 9.22 Initial Query Slowdown

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Jun 20 21:25:35 CDT 2003

on 6/20/03 19:37, Fitzbew at aol.com at Fitzbew at aol.com wrote:

> The first time I run a complex query with my app in OS 8.6 and 9.2.2 (both
> carbon and Classic compilations), the process takes 9-10 clock seconds.

> Running the same query again, immediately afterward, takes just a second or
> so.

> I can close my app, and relaunch it and then run the exact same query ---
> it takes just a second or so.

This is because on the first run Valentina will built needed indexes.

> If I restart the Mac, and then relaunch the
> application and run the same query --- it takes 9-10 seconds again the first
> time.

Aha, then this is not indexes.
Looks to be caching of db files into your cache.

> ALL subsequent queries are blazing fast.  Just the first one after each
> restart is slow.  The app runs many queries during launch, but none are
> complicated (no joins, etc..).  Happens with the machine's virtual memory on
> and off.

> The "process" involved just posts recordset contents to a grid --- I've ruled
> out the grid as the cause.
>
> This db file was initially created using mode 1 (just one file).
>
> I assume this is some kind of cache-building issue --- any suggestions as to
> how I can make the initial query run as fast as subsequent queries?  I've
> experimented with increasing the cache size in ValentinaInit, but it hasn't
> helped so far.
>
> (Why doesn't this happen in OS X ?)
>
> Hardware is DP 800 with 384 megabytes of RAM.  Lots of free hard drive space.

For OS X you have fast speed and for first query?!

Hmm, something strange.
If this is reading of data into cache, then both OS 9 and OS X should take
comparable time...

May be you have too big Valentina cache?
Try just 5-7 MB.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com