[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing // resellers

Lynn Fredricks fci at europa.com
Fri Jun 20 09:48:24 CDT 2003

> > But by selling the product, the VDN subscribers become de facto
> > resellers and thus assume full product support and
> responsibility for
> > the servers they sell (tech support, consulting, returns,
> etc), which
> > some developers may not care for. Or don't they?
>
> Lynn,
>
> This is good point btw.
>
> This is why I still suggest that customer should be able go
> directly to Paradigma and purchase server.
>
> Developer that do not want take care on above issues, may
> simply point customer to Paradigma, like this do all
> developers who use MS SQL Server. Only Microsoft sale SQL Server.

Iee, Ruslan-san! MS does sell SQL Server, but there is a very
significant number of VARs and other solution providers that sell it,
both in a box and also as part of their own solutions.

What we need to offer is choice for VDN subscribers. Sure, they can buy
it and pass it on with their solution, and their customers are
reasonably going to expect support for the *entire* solution to come
from the VDN subscriber. At the same time, the same VDN subscriber can
say "Im a Valentina reseller, and I can sell you Valentina 2 Server at a
X% discount off of Paradigma's price. Wanna buy from me?". Or, he can
just say "Please buy from Paradigma".

So yes, anyone can buy Valentina 2 Server from Paradigma, but we don't
want to impinge on VDN subscribers revenue stream from the solutions
they sell by potentially undercutting their pricing on connections.

All the big companies like HP, Sun, MS, Oracle, and others that provide
solutions through VARs in the US are always in turmoil because of this
type of conflict. That's why Embedded Server has to be set up so that
VDN subscribers don't have to worry about this kind of conflict.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Proactive International, LLC