[discussion] Expiration of subscription license.

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Jun 20 13:47:57 CDT 2003

on 6/20/03 11:52, Robert Brenstein at rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de wrote:

>>>  So far, this has been only a matter of effort but now it may also be
>>>  an issue of money if just happens that our license has expired. Are
>>>  you, Ruslan, ready to promise providing bug fixes for older versions
>>>  in paralell to ongoing development?
>>
>> Our bugs do not live long :-)
>
> Once detected, yes. But what if one affecting me is detected after my
> license expires? Right now, you fix bugs only with the new betas.

> This means if I don't switch releases, I don't get them. Well, since
> they are free so do speak, it is up to me to put effort into upgrade.
> However, once money is involved, the picture changes.

Robert,

Then let me please ask.

You want to say if you have buy REALbasic 4.5 Or MetaCard 3,
And 12 months later they ship RB 5.0 then REAL still issue 4.6 and 4.7 with
fixed bugs?

It seems I have not see this.

I know that Apple really ship old versions of 9.x
Microsoft some years did ship Windows 95 service packs with fixes...
So it looks only big products follow to this. And even their choice depend
on the number of copies of particular version on now.

As you have understand after Valentina 2.0 we are gong to switch to not
often releases. So most probably we will be able after 3.0 still keep branch
of 2.x environment to ship bug fix releases if needed.

But in any case this will not be forever. After 4.0 we will drop 2.0
probably. Maintain 3 branches is already great pain.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com