[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing

Lynn Fredricks fci at europa.com
Thu Jun 19 16:53:01 CDT 2003

> Lynn, I have just understand, that we have like 2 different products:
>     server itself
>     connections to server.
>
> Charles, you can consider each sold connection as a seat for
> your customer. Correct? Totte and other developers who are
> used to Server market, point that organizations can easy pay
> YOU $20-$70 per seat.

Well yes, with the subscription plan, the 5 simultanous connection
server has no cost beyond the subscription fee. How much money you make
is entirely dependent on your own product pricing and volume.

With VDN, we are trying to come up with a combination of tools that you
are going to need. To me, this means you need a Pro client runtime (like
V4RB 2 with Mac and Windows deployments and any others that REAL decides
to support in the future, and VAPP 2), an inexpensive way to provide a
SMB solution (which is the royalty free 5 connection Embedded Server),
and a way to upgrade those SMBs to something bigger. My thinking is that
it should also include several additional connections in the
subscription that you can sell to a few SMB clients and recoup a fair
portion of your investment in the subscription.

An example -- you have a client who buys your 5 Simultanous Connection
Email Server, but they need 5 extra connections. If we've tossed in 10
connections with your subscription, and you sell your customer half of
these at $20 a pop, you've shaved off $100 in your investment in VDN.

I also think VDN members need some SMB type servers to use internally,
for their own development testing or just use. So it's a good idea to
provide a small connection of Valentina 2 Server for every platform we
support.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President