[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing

Lynn Fredricks fci at europa.com
Thu Jun 19 16:40:25 CDT 2003

> I'd like to chime in here with a question/request.
>
> Would it be possible to have our clients purchase additional
> users and
> get server updates through a mechanism similar to what kagi
> provides for
> paradigmasoft now? I would like to be able to set the cost,
> control a web
> page that supplies the information, but have fulfillment be
> automatated
> through this proposed mechanism. Paradigma would provide a
> mechanism for
> managing these update and give me credit for the amounts
> collected. Of
> course we could manage all of this information ourselves and dole out
> keys manually, but that implies a pre sale cash outlay
> instead of a just
> in time purchase. The price that we pay could be related to
> the number of
> seats sold. This sort of credit system isn't unusual and provides an
> incentive to increase sales without overextending ourselves
> in order to
> get the lower per unit price. I understand that this won't have the
> result of giving Paradigma a big cash influx immediately based on
> developers future sales projections, but it is a better long
> term method
> of doing business in that it ties your success to the success of your
> users. I could imagine some set up cost to be part of this system and
> also a developer kit that includes a license for only the demo server
> capability.
>
> Does this make sense to anyone else?

Ive known a lot of solution providers that get very nervous when it
looks like *their* vendor is trying to usurp the relationship with the
customer. Models like this are increasing in popularity (such as
Microsoft's partner programs) but it scares a lot of solution providers.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Proactive International, LLC