[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing

Lynn Fredricks fci at europa.com
Thu Jun 19 15:18:56 CDT 2003

> > VDN member can distribute even million of copies of his application
> > without any additional payments for VDN membership.
> >
> > As far as I see, Keith try to estimate his own payments during HIS
> > business year. Actually his above question is not correctly
> formulate
> > I think.
>
> You're both tracking with me in a way. From a developer
> standpoint, the subscription model Lynn mentioned is a
> significant change -- unlike v1, we will now have annual fees
> required to continue to develop and distribute our software
> with an embedded vServer.

Yes and no. VDN is basically a new product from our perspective.

There will be upgrades to the current products which allow you to create
database apps that have a single connection to a local runtime. These
will be available both in VDN and also "ala carte" so to speak, just
like now. If you don't need a real server, or can get by with open-close
tricks, then you'll have no surprises with that upgrade path.

Subscriptions will only be applicable to multiple simultaneous
connections to your app which embeds what is essentially the Valentina 2
Server component. Under the subscription model, you can deploy server
solutions without any additional fees beyond the subscription price that
allow 5 simultanous connections. These custom server apps will have some
strings attached to functionality somewhat similar to what we have now.
Otherwise, it would be directly competitive with Valentina 2 Server
because then it WOULD BE Valentina Server 2, just ultra cheap.

VDN subscribers will also be able to buy Valentina 2 Server at a
discounted rate. At some point, you might have a customer who wants to
use a single install of Valentina 2 Server serve up data to multiple,
different types of apps you make. It might make sense to just sell them
a full Valentina 2 Server (and yes, there will be an unlimited
connection version of this available). Paradigma prefers that VDN
subscribers can be competitive with resellers so that the VDN
subscriber's customers don't just go out and buy Valentina Server 2 from
someone else cheaper. It also makes the VDN subscriber competitive
against Paradigma direct sales.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President