[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing

Keith DeLong delong at redcort.com
Thu Jun 19 14:43:25 CDT 2003

>>> By the way, Keith, I wonder why you underline per - year ???
>>> We do NOT have dependency on year! Correct?
>>
>> I think he means because we do have a subscription model in mind. What's
>> on the table is that there would be a subscription oriented service
>> called VDN.
>
> I think Keith mean something other.
> Because he point 50, 500, 1000 applications.
>
> VDN member can distribute even million of copies of his application without
> any additional payments for VDN membership.
>
> As far as I see, Keith try to estimate his own payments during HIS business
> year. Actually his above question is not correctly formulate I think.

You're both tracking with me in a way. From a developer standpoint, the
subscription model Lynn mentioned is a significant change -- unlike v1, we
will now have annual fees required to continue to develop and distribute our
software with an embedded vServer.

As Ruslan mentioned, I do tend to think about the profitability of
developing software for a living in fiscal terms. If subscriptions for
development plus connections that must be purchased increase my net
development tools costs from hundreds of dollars per year to thousands or
tens of thousands for X products sold, this is a fiscal issue that I must
weigh and consider carefully.

As Charles mentioned, I think the general concept is reasonably clear. For
me, the change in MEANS Paradigma uses to charge for use of your development
tools is not a big deal. The AMOUNT of those net costs for 1.x based apps
where I need multi-user access is of great interest to me. I don't care if
the discussion is framed on a per unit, annual, perpetual basis.

I realize and support the idea that as we try to generate a fair profit and
stay in business, Ruslan needs to do the same. At the end of the day, it's
got to make sense for us both.

Keith DeLong