[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing

Lynn Fredricks fci at europa.com
Wed Jun 18 14:55:46 CDT 2003

Hello all,

I want to clarify a few points Ruslan has written here.

> After some consultations with few developers we want discuss
> a little the schema of Valentina server licensing. I will
> start from simple thing and go
> to more complex.
>
> 1) Valentina Server (dedicated/office/web)
>     here all is very simple, because this is not developer
> product in fact.
>     we will have few price positions that differ by price/connection,
>     and on top -- unlimited server.

We will have a subscription system for developers that will have access
to Valentina Server Embedded. They alone will be able to buy connections
(as below). However, they will also be entitled to a special reseller
discount on Valentina 2 Server (this product #1 above) to provide even
more flexibility in deploying Valentina based solutions.

>   Customer purchase Vserver with some N connections.
>   If later he want upgrade he purchase additional license file and
>   drop it into the folder "licenses" of Vserver.

These will be in connection numbers that are pretty predictable and
comparable to what you find from other's on the market, like FileMaker.

> 2) Valentina Server embedded.
>
>     This is for developers who want to embed Vserver into
> their solutions.
>
>     when you will sale YOUR client-server app, you obviously will sale
>         a) server part
>         b) additional connections.
>
>     Additional connections customers are used to name also "seats".
>
>     We going provide you basic "deployment license" of Vserver
>     with 5 connections which you can distribute to each your customer.
>     in case customer need say 25 connections, you can sale him
>     additional 20 connections.

These developers (members of Valentina Developer Network) will get a
special, unique serial license that they can embed in their server
products. It will automatically enable 5 simultaneous connections.

>     Now question is how we will do this between us: you and Paradigma.
>     Solution that we see is the next:
>     -- we will have price list with several connection and
> scale price.
>         the more you buy connections at once the lower price from us.
>     -- so assume you buy 500 connections at once.
>     -- we send you so called "Bag License File" that contains inside
>         500 connections.

Just so you know, this is NOT the minimum number of connections you must
buy at a time. But the more connections you buy at a time, the cheaper
its going to be for each connection.

>     -- you download from our site utility "License Generator"
> for MAC/WIN
>         and use that file to generate license files for YOUR
> customers.
>     -- we want provide you very flexible way to generate licenses:
>        You will be able on your choice use any of this parameters:
>                 Connection count
>                 User/Company Name
>                 Expiration date
>
>     -- when you generate license with e.g. 20 connections from your
>        "Bag Licnse File" is subtracted 20, and it have now 480.
>

> NOTE:
>     -- such utility will allow you offline at any time
> produce licenses.
>     -- Expiration date will allow you [OPTIONALLY] produce
> some kind of
>             a) DEMO of your products
>             b) subscription plan for your product

Please read that OPTIONALLY very carefully. The base connections do not
need to expire. However, these extra connections are only deployable on
a per customer basis. If you want to sell 20 copies of products each of
which has 20 connections, then you will need to have:

15 X 20 copies = 300 extra connections

Don't forget, each deployment comes with 5 simultanous connections
already enabled.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President