[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Jun 18 22:24:46 CDT 2003

Hi guys,

After some consultations with few developers we want discuss a little the
schema of Valentina server licensing. I will start from simple thing and go
to more complex.

1) Valentina Server (dedicated/office/web)
    here all is very simple, because this is not developer product in fact.
    we will have few price positions that differ by price/connection,
    and on top -- unlimited server.

  Customer purchase Vserver with some N connections.
  If later he want upgrade he purchase additional license file and
  drop it into the folder "licenses" of Vserver.

2) Valentina Server embedded.

    This is for developers who want to embed Vserver into their solutions.

    when you will sale YOUR client-server app, you obviously will sale
        a) server part
        b) additional connections.

    Additional connections customers are used to name also "seats".

    We going provide you basic "deployment license" of Vserver
    with 5 connections which you can distribute to each your customer.
    in case customer need say 25 connections, you can sale him
    additional 20 connections.

    Now question is how we will do this between us: you and Paradigma.
    Solution that we see is the next:
    -- we will have price list with several connection and scale price.
        the more you buy connections at once the lower price from us.
    -- so assume you buy 500 connections at once.
    -- we send you so called "Bag License File" that contains inside
        500 connections.
    -- you download from our site utility "License Generator" for MAC/WIN
        and use that file to generate license files for YOUR customers.
    -- we want provide you very flexible way to generate licenses:
       You will be able on your choice use any of this parameters:
                Connection count
                User/Company Name
                Expiration date

    -- when you generate license with e.g. 20 connections from your
       "Bag Licnse File" is subtracted 20, and it have now 480.

NOTE:
    -- such utility will allow you offline at any time produce licenses.
    -- Expiration date will allow you [OPTIONALLY] produce some kind of
            a) DEMO of your products
            b) subscription plan for your product

    **
    -- We was pointed that developer not always can wish that his
        app will deal with license files. Some developers may prefer
        to use serials. I am going add for that utility ability
        produce serials based on the same 3 parameters...

    -- in fact you get ability easy built into your app protection
        scheme. Of course you can add ALSO your own.

So what you think about such way of work with connection distribution?
Actually we ask only about second option -- "embedded server". First option
is clear like a day...

Any comments will be appreciated.
Also any comparison with other database vendors are welcome.
We want clearly see our weak and strong sides.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com