Cache question/bug report?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Jul 16 14:56:07 CDT 2003

on 7/16/03 14:35, jda at jda at his.com wrote:

>> Hmm, you want to say that your import written in RB code and using V4RB
>> plugin works faster of my ASCII import/export ?!
>> I do not believe! :-)
>
> By an order of magnitude (tenfold) or more! A 60 MB database takes a
> *loooong* time to export/import with XML (I stopped timing it after 1
> hr) -- it takes about 5 minutes for my code.

Aha, so you say about XML import. Export.
Hmm, so our XML parser is not best?

Can I ask, How long take our EXPORT?
Is is also slower of your code ?
Export I have write self so I hope it will faster of your :-)
XML parser was on EXPAT...

>>> Why might this be? Doesn't Valentina page out when the cache is filled?
>>
>> No, Valentina do not page out.
>>
>> Sounds like a bug in cache. In the past I have see such problems few times.
>>
>> 1) does that db have the same number of fields, but differ only by number of
>> records?
>
> Yes.
>

>> 2) do you just import import import records with no flush?
>> If yes then you can try add flush after each, say 1000 or 5000 records.
>
> I thought of that. I was flushing every 500 records. I changed that
> to every 100 records. Still didn't work -- I get a -39 error when the
> db is closed and then reopened.

Very bad...
Then I only can recommend open/close db after e.g. 10,000 records.

Jon, if there is workaround for now, I'd prefer do not spend time on this
problem. In 2.0 we have totally new cache...

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com