[V4RB] Locked record problem

jda jda at his.com
Sun Jul 6 15:29:08 CDT 2003

>>So, either kNoLocks must work, or is there a way to do a search for
>>records that are not locked by virtue of being in an open cursor
>>(something like "select * from myRecords where recordLock = false")?
>>

>how do you know that only unlocked records are needed?
>
>without NoLocks you just can't afford to have more than 1 cursor around
>if you plan to edit your records at some time
>
>you'll have to take the data, put them somewhere and kill the cursor
>immediately
>
>I don't like that!

Hi erne,

Well, my problem is that I have to grab some records based upon their
having a certain value in the 'hit' field, and then change the 'hit'
field of *all the records that did not match* to 0. I could do a
second query for all records that didn't have the requested 'hit'
value, but (1) that's hard to code (my users enter the sql string
themselves), and (2) was completely unnecessary before! Since my app
is not a server-based product, I really don't need record locking
(never did before) but now I've got to deal with it. I'd like a way
to revert to the original behavior (which is what I thought NoLocks
was intended for, but which does NOT work that way). Failing that,
I'd like to be able to identify if a record is locked or not, and be
able to select it based upon that property.

Jon