Why does this crash?

jda jda at his.com
Sun Jul 6 13:20:17 CDT 2003

I'm doing a query where I create and then destroy a sortmethod
on-the-fly. It worked before, but now crashes (V4RB, b11, OS X):

       s = s + " ORDER BY authorEditorSortMethod,date" //create the query

       fld =
myDatabase.myReferences.createField("authorEditorSortMethod",
kv_TypeVarChar, 504, "English", "if
                (length(authors)=0, if
(length(editors)=0,title,editors),authors)") //create a method in
case a field is
                 empty

     myCursor = myDatabase.SQLSelect(s, kServer, kReadOnly) //OK

     if fld<> nil then
       myDatabase.myReferences.deleteField(fld) //destroy the
temporary method -- crashes!
     end if

Obviously (?) Valentina has locked the new method. But why? Once the
SQL query is done does the cursor have to know about the method used
to sort the results?

Jon