[V4RB] Locked record problem

jda jda at his.com
Sun Jul 6 11:08:31 CDT 2003

Here's a scenario that I'm having problems with, caused by the new
record locking scheme:

1. I have a field called "hit", which contains a Long. Unselected
records have a value of 0. Selected (by the user) records have a
value of 1..n, the order being that selected by the user.

2. I want the user to be able to search the database for records with
certain hit values. I then convert the hit field in unselected
records to 0, and renumber the hit field in the selected references.

This used to work fine. But in the new V4RB, once I have selected the
records that have certain hit values, I can't just select the entire
db and zero-out the records before rebuilding the hit values in the
cursor.

If kNoLocks worked, I could do this (this behavior worked find before
record locking).

OR

If I could search for records in which there is no lock -- I could
zero-out the hit field in just those records, and then rebuild the
values in the records I retrieved in the first cursor.

So, either kNoLocks must work, or is there a way to do a search for
records that are not locked by virtue of being in an open cursor
(something like "select * from myRecords where recordLock = false")?

Jon