Speaking of cursors ...

Tim Davis timdavis at amug.org
Fri Jul 4 10:10:59 CDT 2003

Hi,

    I see the advantage of holding open a cursor when server-side, but
much less so for client-side. In an effort to minimize restrictions due
to record locking of large queries, is there a capability in SQL and/or
Valentina to limit the size of the cursor, ie. max number of records to
hold in cursor? (Then of course one could create a new cursor for the
next batch of the 'found set', ie. two parameters to define the cursor
limits Start = 50, Size = 25.) (I have not found this in my SQL books,
but have used this in database related software.) If someone does a
query and the found set is hundreds of records, they may need all of
them, and it may be wasteful to open them all as ReadWrite locking out
other users. I think a limited cursor size might help.

Thanks,
Tim Davis