[V4RB] newbie on the loose

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Jan 29 13:21:42 CST 2003

on 1/29/03 12:56 PM, Pedro fp at lists at pedro.net.au wrote:

Hi Pedro,

> I'm just starting out with Valentina, got red eyes from poring over the
> documentation, & have to port my major work project from REALdb to
> Valentina in a hurry. Three questions starting with the simplest ...

You may wish also read FAQ pages on our site.

> 1. Are RecIDs reused when records are deleted?

yes

> 2. I've read in the kernel manual that the Object-Relational model
> allows having multiple BaseObjects that appear to be a single table.

You mean inheritance? Not implemented now.

> My project has 2 'types' of records, ones containing data owned by the user of
> the software & ones containing published data. I believe that putting each
> record type in its own BaseObject has some advantages in this project but I'm
> not clear on how this is done. Can anyone offer me a primer on this or direct
> me to some published example that shows how it's done?

But what problems Pedro?
Just make 2 different BaseObjects (i.e 2 Tables) and store records where you
need.

> 3. Most of the fields in my database are to be predefined but the
> software must also provide for user defined custom fields. Can I do
> this by having a mixture of static & dynamic fields in a Valentina
> database? If so [again] can someone offer a primer on this of direct me
> to some published example?

Pedro, the good db design do not require adding of fields on the fly.

If you need do something like this you need consider usage of additional
table e.g. Property. Where you will add RECORDS which play role of new
items.

In any case.
It is possible add fields to static table on the fly, i.e. Mix static and
dynamic ways, but I afraid this is hard. Better then use only dynamic way.

May be better use for dynamic fields separate table.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com