[V4RB] newbie on the loose

Pedro fp lists at pedro.Net.au
Wed Jan 29 20:56:58 CST 2003

G'day Folks

I'm just starting out with Valentina, got red eyes from poring over the
documentation, & have to port my major work project from REALdb to
Valentina in a hurry. Three questions starting with the simplest ...

1. Are RecIDs reused when records are deleted?

2. I've read in the kernel manual that the Object-Relational model
allows having multiple BaseObjects that appear to be a single table. My
project has 2 'types' of records, ones containing data owned by the
user of the software & ones containing published data. I believe that
putting each record type in its own BaseObject has some advantages in
this project but I'm not clear on how this is done. Can anyone offer me
a primer on this or direct me to some published example that shows how
it's done?

3. Most of the fields in my database are to be predefined but the
software must also provide for user defined custom fields. Can I do
this by having a mixture of static & dynamic fields in a Valentina
database? If so [again] can someone offer a primer on this of direct me
to some published example?

Cheers, Pedro :-)

Web: <http://www.pedro.net.au>                    PGP Key ID: 387CD96F
Instant messaging...  AIM: bandidoOfOz  ICQ: 27671678  Jabber: pedrofp
                       MSN: mail at pedro.net.au           Yahoo: pedro_fp