EULA and Serialization; Valentina Partner Program

Lynn Fredricks fci at europa.com
Mon Jan 27 10:10:28 CST 2003

Howdy all,

Ive had some discussion with several users and Ruslan about
serialization of external components (where you have no recourse but to
maintain the components as external). Serialization at runtime is the
only way you can work with Valentina with environments like this, so it
make sense that for the purposes of the EULA, if its serialized at
runtime then it fulfills the intended requirements and that this should
be included in an updated EULA.

Its necessary though that we know who is distributing these
runtime-serialized components because there can be no doubt that you
must be a registered user in order to distribute these components in
this way. If you've completed the publisher agreement and included
product information, then we already know who you are and that you are
using VXCMD in your projects.

There are going to be makers of developer tools that want to include an
unserialized version, and I believe Runtime is already doing this. This
has to be documented as well and its not automatically allowed under the
current EULA.

So I anticipate the following --

There will be an updated EULA that allows specifically clarifies usage
of VXCMD and other tools like it to be serialized at runtime.

For those that have a need to distribute an unserialized version that is
not serialized at runtime, we will create a separate, signed agreement.
There are plans anyway to create a second level of agreements for
Valentina Partners and I anticipated allowing something like this for
Valentina Partners anyway since they are involved in selling Valentina
products.

Ill send additional information to the list about the Valentina Partner
Program as its being created. If you are currently now distributing an
unserialized version that is not serialized at runtime, be aware that
there is a registration process requirement coming and that its not
directly supported under the current EULA.

The Valentina Partner Program in its next incarnation is to provide
expanded options specifically to those who generate revenue off of
Valentina sales, particularly Valentina Server sales. If there is
something you want or need from this program, you should email me
directly and soon.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President